
(I belong to a Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia forum called www.cllforum.com. It has been a life saver for many of us. We can get info about the disease to help us understand what we have(trying to figure out what’s going on by yourself ,at first, is so over-whelming), the latest on treatment and personal experiences with treatment, doctors and clinics....and loads of emotional support. It’s a place to ‘share’ with others that are going through what we are going through...I thought this story was sooo sweet!) Jenny writes:
Hey all-
Tom is the emcee for the Houston Cattle Baron's Ball tomorrow night. Even though this is a fund-raiser for The American Cancer Society, it is nice for "us" that Tom talks about CLL while on stage. It is a major fund-raiser in Houston and just wanted all to know that Tom will be speaking CLL and research and money, etc.
Tom and I just arrived at the Coast, so now I can update. Last night's Cattle Baron's Ball in Houston was a great success for raising money for the American Cancer Society. But, (and I know you won't believe me), I forgot to take my camera when I changed out purses. DANG! OK-here's the other part. At the tables were cards that you could donate money in honor or in memory
of someone. I thought, "Gosh, wouldn't it be sweet and loving for me to fill this one out in honor of Tom (this is Jenny’s husband , who has CLL) for CLL and donate a little money." So---I filled out the top part with Tom's name and his CLL and all and then I read where the minimum donation is $1,000.00. With not so much of a "heavy" sigh, I just threw down the donation form on our table. And the evening goes on... Tom does his emceing, I look around...blah, blah.
When it was time to go, Tom said to me, "I found a card on our table filled out in my honor and I was so touched but I guess the person forgot to donate so I donated the minimum amount."
I died laughing and gasping for air--(a grand is a lot of money after paying for Rituximab).
When I told Tom that I was the one who had filled it out originally, he said, "Well, here's your gift for ‘donating’. And he gave me a long stem Red Rose. That's what they gave everyone who donated $1,000. I have cradled this expensive rose all the way from Houston to Austin----filled the hotel sink with water last night so it wouldn't die and now it is in a home made container here in Port Aransas, TX.
Anyway, no photo's because I forgot the camera. You just got this ridiculous story.......about the most expensive Rose I have ever received.
jlou
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!
No comments:
Post a Comment