Thursday, August 28, 2008

Yes, I have a ribbon... and it is orange


Last spring I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). News like that definitely knocks the wind out of your sails. And I know I walked around with a "deer in the headlights" look on my face during the first few months while I waited for test results.

Like most leukemia or lymphoma patients, I found myself sitting in the waiting room of a leukemia specialist, MD Anderson in my case,waiting to have a bone marrow biopsy done. Since I had been a med tech for many years, I knew what was coming and I sat there dreading it. So I started my own "pep talk". I kept repeating"There's worst things than a bone marrow" over and over. Then, in walked a charming young couple with two darling little girls ages 3 and 4. Both were dressed alike, except the 3 year old..she wore a little pink baseball cap. ..she had no hair..she also was waiting for a bone marrow biopsy. I watched her playing and thought, "Yes, there is something worst than a diagnosis of cancer or a bone marrow biopsy"...that's having a child with cancer or a loved one struggling with it..

I decided to do something while I 'm still well enough.... so I signed up for Team in Training, the sports endurance fund-raising part of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I have pledged to run/walk 1/2 of the Austin Marathon in Feb 2009 and to raise $5000 dollars.... I want to do it for that "little pink hat"

Please donate to find a cure for all those "little pink hats" at my website~~~~She needs your help! Help me meet this goal....
http://pages.teamintraining.org/ctx/austin09/akingdpckk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Anita!! I know you will reach your goal.Thanks for what you are doing.What an inspiration to us all!!
God Bless,
Deb Light
www.cllcfriends.com