Saturday, October 4, 2008

"The Long and Winding Road"

The other Saturday, we met downtown to begin one of our walks. I was walking with George ( a female), who has walked the full marathon with TNT for the last two years. When we first got there, I picked up a map for the ½ marathon work out (3 miles), while the others picked up the full marathon work out maps ( 4 miles). Both maps started downtown and then looped around part of Town Lake.
George and I walked together and decided early on to follow Tricia and Angela who were walking the full marathon 4 mile work out. George and I figured we would get a really good work out and increase our speed.

This seemed like a really good idea at the time!

Well, after a while it was apparent that Angela and Tricia can walk a very fast 12 mph...and George and I walk a slower 15-16 mph. So this caused a problem. At one point we were getting further and further behind, so George and I had to run to catch up with the 'speedy ones'.

After a while, George and I seemed to be running fairly often. (Is anyone really surprised?) Finally we reached a point where we lost sight of the '12 mph pace setters' and we didn’t know which way to go. (Remember I only had the map for the shorter distance and not the longer one which we were in the middle of). Yes, we were sorta lost in the woods!

Thank goodness for tall buildings! We did find our way back to the start. And, well, I was pretty pleased with myself for going on the 4 mile work out. And remembering the lecture about doing the ice bath after a long work out, I had the following conversation with coach Cassidy:

Me: "So, are we supposed to do the ice bath after this walk today?"

Cassidy: "You only need to do it after a long walk."

Me: "We did walk 4 miles today."

Cassidy: "That’s what I mean, only after a long walk."

Hmmm.....
What I learned today......4 miles is NOT a long walk!
"Let your fingers do the walking" over to : http://pages.teamintraining.org/ctx/austin09/akingdpckk

No comments: